Sunday, 2 January 2011

Let's Discuss ... My Top Ten of 2010.

Well folks, here it as, my top ten of 2010. And quite frankly, it's a bit shit. Due to having a terrible job for the major of the year I literally didn't have enough money to go to the cinema anywhere near as many times as I wanted to. There's a lot of great films I missed (well, so I'm told; I wouldn't know, I didn't see them, did I?) There were films I expected to include when I saw them, but at the end of the day they just didn't cut the mustard. So, shall we?

  1. I'm still looking for bits of my balls in the screen I saw this in. I'm not even going to bother justifying why it's my number one for this year, you've seen it, right?
  1. When I first heard that David Fincher was directing a film based on the humble beginnings of the biggest social network site ever I knew it was one to give a miss. Then the reviews and the plaudits starting rolling in and I felt like a right dick. Holy nuts, this film was good. Played out mostly in flashback during a lawsuit hearing, we learn all about how odd Mark Zuckerberg became the world's youngest billionaire and how many people he pissed off in the process. Andrew Garfield shone, Jesse Eisenberg went supernova and David Fincher showed that he could direct traffic and I'd be there opening night.
  1. I'm glad I saw this when I did as someone gave the end away in conversation not 12 hours after I'd watched it. Everyone in this film gave the performance of their lives and Di Caprio was arguably better in “Shutter Island” than he was in “Inception”. I'll admit I thought the film was going in a completely different direction until the twist came and when it did it felt perfect. If a city folded into itself this would have been my number one without a shadow of a doubt.
  1. Though “Up” exploded adult themes like death and loneliness, “Toy Story 3” felt like the first film Pixar had made for parents to take their kids to, not the other way around. Our generation grew up with “Toy Story” and now the franchise has caught up in maturity. The only weak part of the film for me was Buzz Lightyear's spanish setting, but all that was forgotten into a packet of tissues by the end. Yes, I cried.
  1. Fucking brutal where other films are afraid to even think about giving you a funny luck. I've not read any of the “Millennium” trilogy and didn't really have a clue what this was about before it came from Lovefilm, so I was very surprised to find it was one of the best thrillers I've seen in a very long time. Massively looking forward to completing the trilogy of films then moving on to the books.
  1. The only “proper” comedy on my list and deservedly so. I've been a big fan of Chris Morris's television work since my early teens, so finding out he was tackling the subject of Jihad-ism in this day and age was music to my ears. I think that was in 2007. I thought the project had died after not hearing anything about it since then, but then it came. And I pissed myself. Fucked up rabbits with no ears, a suicide crow and The Midnight Jihadi, does it get any funnier than that? Here's a film that's easily as quotable on a night out as any “Anchorman” or “Dodgeball”, but infinitely cleverer. Fuck Mini Baby Bels.
  1. Like “Toy Story”, this is a franchise that's grown up with it's audience. True, the books grew up with the audience before the films did but in a different way. Each of the Potter films has gotten visually and tonally darker since director David Yates came onboard with “Order of The Phoenix” and the series just feels better for being in the hands of an Englishman. There were times when it felt like absolutely nothing was happening and I was confused by the whole Horcrux plot because I stopped reading the book 50 pages in, but to anyone who says that the film didn't have an ending I say this, “You're an idiot”. Also, Harry and Hermoine dancing will forever be the sweetest and most human moment of this series.
  1. The second film I've seen this year where Liam Neeson lost his daughter but has a completely different set of skills. Equally as magical as “Howl's Moving Castle” and the Oscar winning “Spirited Away”, “Ponyo” is the story of an aquatic princess who is obsessed by a human boy and wishes to be human to be with him. So far, so “Little Mermaid”, but where “Ponyo” differs is that Ponyo and Sosuke, her object of her affections, is that they are children, making the story infinitely purer as they have no understanding of physical love; they just want to be together. Thanks to it's fantastic story and the beauty of it's traditional 2D animation, “Ponyo” really is a sight to behold. If you can, see it on Blu Ray and be prepared to see colours you didn't know existed.
  1. The problem with British cinema is that we have a terrible image of yourselves that gets reflected on the wider world; we're either all living in quaint little villages drinking tea or living in East End “Landan” and swearing up a shit storm. So what happens when a film comes out that shows us for what we are (or rather were)? No fucker goes and sees it. People where probably expecting a balls to the wall comedy from the creators of “The Office” and “Extras”, but like the characters from their directorial debut together I suppose Stephen Merchant and Ricky Gervais wanted a change. For those of you who haven't seen it, “Cemetery Junction” is a film about three friends who wants to escape their shit little lives and break away from the town they've never left. Full of smart laughs and pathos, if you've not seen it, you need to, if only to find out why Noddy wears a bell on the end of his hat.
  1. A film that made it into my top ten at the expense of “Youth In Revolt”, “The Expendables” and “Daybreakers”, “Piranha 3D” made it through based on the experience I had watching it. I watched it literally 45 minutes after leaving a screening of “The Human Centipede” and needed to get the taste of shit out of my mouth. I went to a midnight screening and the screen was empty; months earlier I'd seen “Inception” in the same screen and it was packed. It was literally me and my buddy, 3D specs on and overly priced ice-cream in hand. Possibly one of the daftest films I've seen it my life, I laughed. And hard. And got hard. I never sell films to people based on how hot the lead actress is, that's not why I watch films, but Kelly Brook looks an absolute goddess in this. Each onscreen death adds another level of insanity and creativity, my personal favourite involving a boat motor and a female swimmer about to have her last bad hair day. “Piranha 3D” also had some of the best 3D I've seen since “Avatar” and feel like it's done as much for the medium as James Cameron's film had.

5 comments:

  1. From this list, I saw only 1-4 and 7. As you might already know, I absolutely agree with Inception at #1 place, but I do dislike TSN. As for Shutter Island, I still have controversial feelings about this film but I'm surprised it was snubbed at the awards... And I would replace Toy Story 3 with How to Train Your Dragon, although I see your point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Social is film of the year by far for me, I'd even say best of the past few years. Inception kicks ass, but heavily flawed. Three Lions I feel is massively overrated, mostly low-brow comedy until the final act. Other than that i'd mostly agree with you - except i've not seen Poyno!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Completely agree, Inception was THE best film of 2010, wasn't all that taken by Ponyo, even though I am a big Ghibli fan. Probably would have had Toy Story 3 in my number 2 slot though ;)

    www.thelittlestpictureshow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. 83rd Annual Academy Awards – Oscars Party Kit

    If you are planning to hold your own award-winning Oscar viewing party at your home, here are some helpful tips from the experts – the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

    http://www.thelifeofluxury.com/83rd-annual-academy-awards-oscars-party-kit/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, although i would add Scott Pilgrim v The World and 127 Hours at a minimum. Haven't heard of Ponyo or Cemetery Junction, so will check those out. Piranha was a guilty pleasure but don't think it is top 10 for the year. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete