Wednesday, 3 February 2010

Let's Discuss ... "Dirty Harry"

Let's Discuss ... "Dirty Harry"




Last night, I did something for the first time; I watched "Dirty Harry". You'd probably think that seeing as I'm a film-type-person (or as I was once called at work, a "speccy film spaz") I'd have seen "Dirty Harry" years ago. Well, I haven't. I've only ever seen the odd clip on top 100 shows or people getting the infamous quote wrong. Well, thanks to my good pals at Lovefilm I got the Blu Ray version of "Dirty Harry" yesterday morning, not two days after I've added it to my list. With the missus placed firmly in bed, I slipped the disc into my PS3 and lay on the old, battered couch and was ready to enjoy. And how.


I love the films of the 1970's. I love the grit, the grain and the rough and readiness of them. "Dirty Harry" ticked all those boxes. Some of the panning and tracking was bloody dreadful by today's standards, but it suits "Dirty Harry" down to the ground. I don't want to get bogged down too much with the technical aspects of the film, but the shot in the stadium when Harry finally catches Scorpio is absolutely stunning.

Now, let's discuss Harry himself. Harry Callahan is a straight talking, name taking, motherfu... scrap that, you all know how hard as nails Harry Callahan is, the films been out for nearly 40 years. The rest of the characters sort of fall to the wayside due to Harry being such a force of nature, but Andrew Robinson as Scorpio does a really good job of being the Ying to Harry's Yang. Don Speigel got him on board on the basis that he wanted a "baby faced" killer instead of an obvious looking nutjob, and it's some of the best serial killer casting since David Fincher asked what Kevin Spacey was up to when he started on Seven.

Of course, the main thing everyone remembers from the film is the infamous "I've forgotten how many bullets I've got left in my gun, but do you" quote. I say remember, I of course mean, misquote. It's better within the main body of the film than seeing it on a clip show or some shit impressionist doing it.

All in all, this is an awesome film that harks from a time when cops kicked arse not because they drove cars into Harrier jump jets or jumped through windows, but because they did there jobs.

Best bit: When Harry jumps of the bridge on to a moving school bus.

Best Quote: "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"

Let's Discuss Scores: 8/10


No comments:

Post a Comment